Thursday, April 17, 2008

India Part 2

It took a little longer than expected to get this next part up, as I've been catching up with tons of homework/tests at school, but from now on I'll be trying to post another part every/every other day. Promise!! I've really been missing the girls today, and just missing being with my team. I thought writing out the next part of my trip might help a little.

So, the next section of my Indian Adventure:

Settling In and Getting to Know The Girls

So after our amazing welcome, we had our first lunch there (it wasn't the greatest meal... the meat was almost all bones :S) and then some of the girls showed us to our rooms. Us girls were staying at the Arts and Sciences College, while the leaders and the guys were staying at the other end of the campus, at the Michael Job Hostel (except for Taylor, who was in a random room at the chapel all by himself :P). Despite the fact that it was supposed to be 3 girls to a room, Tiffany, Danielle, Kate and I all went into one room, and me and Danielle shared the big bed... lots of good times and memories shared in that room!

Anyway, us 4 went and played with some of the girls, and had an awesome time. We were the only ones who were actually up and out of our rooms.. everyone else was fast asleep! But we had lots of fun, and were glad we did, even though it meant we were extra tired the next day. This is just a short video of us playing tag with the girls that afternoon, in the courtyard by the chapel.


The girls were all obsessed with taking pictures and using our cameras, and were so sweet. They would come up to us and say, "Auntie, me now, me take picture now!" After a while it got a little out of hand, but it was so cute! It also resulted in my camera being loaded with useless pictures, but at least they had fun! :)

I met one of my special little friends that night. Her name was Devika, and she was absolutely obsessed with me. It sounds kind of conceited, but its the total truth. She would get so jealous if any other girls were with me, and would even push them away so that she could hold my hand. At first I found her slightly irritating (which made me feel so guilty! :S) but by the 5th or 6th day I had grown to love her. She was so sweet, and would always want to "catch" (which is what they said instead of carry) my things for me. She was still extremely bossy about who could be around me, but I loved her anyway.

That evening it was just us four again at dinner (joined by Taylor), and it was fun to just hang out with the girls, and be with them without our entire team being there.. not that I didn't like my team, it was just less stressful not having anything that we had to do. So, this post won't be too long, as its mostly just the pictures that will tell the story of the first few days, but I'm just trying to give you a glimpse as to what our whole trip was like.

Our Welcome Sign in the Auditorium/Cafeteria

Our first meal at the Centre


They were all soo excited to meet us!! :)



Showing us to our rooms. The girls you can see are Katherine (in the pink), Salu (in the middle, with the white and blue) and Tina (on the end with the green)... they're all such sweeties!!




Meeting the girls, and getting to know them. This is me, with Nitu (left), Ammu (middle), and Epseba (right).

Me and Ammu, Nitu, and Leana on the right

Me with Esther on the right, and I'm not sure what the other girl's name is.

Me and my first special little friend, Devika (on the right).


Playing Tag!


One of the many frogs that only showed up at night.


Some pictures of the Centre (its actually really nice!). This is the chapel, its right in the centre of the compound.
The two college's, with the girls' hostel in the middle. We stayed in the college on the far right.


The Michael Job Hostel, where the leaders and 3 guys stayed.
The Pre-School to Grade 12 school

The "playground" on the back field, which was known as the "Stadium".

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow- that sounds awesome. They are so gorgeous, and I love their happy screams playing tag :) It is so strange... it is almost identical to my experience in the Dominican! The kids were obsessed with taking our cameras and I would constantly be deleting picture after picture of half of heads, the ground, etc. And Frangelis would push people away when they would come near me, hehe. Can't wait to hear more- they are such beautiful girls!

Nikki said...

Thanks for the comment :) Don't worry abotu not keeping up with my blog. Especially now that I am living in residence and stuck in a tiny room with nothing but a bed and computer, I pretty much live on my computer! But it is so annoying how people do that. Gets on my nerves. I really want to go to Ethiopia next May, but after emailing a gazillion organizations, it seems like none of them do trips during May as its the rainy season, so if I do go on a trip, I am deciding between Tanzania and Kenya right now through International Volunteering HQ (am leaning towards Kenya). But who knows. After seeing your pictures, I want to go to India too!!