Saturday, October 6, 2007

Urgent Prayer Request for my Sponsor Child

Last night I was checking my email, and decided to check my "junk email". The one that I put for different websites, or online orders; the one that all my facebook emails go to. I only check it occasionally, although after last night, I realised I should probably check it more often!


I was going through it, deleting all the junk emails, when I came across one entitled "More about Namulindwa Jackie's living situation."
I was so excited, as I love to get news about my sponsor children, so I opened it immediately.
What I read horrified me. The following is the email I was sent by administrative assistant for Kibaale:

Hi Erin,
I wanted to give you an update on Namulindwa Jackies living situation.

A division of the Ugandan govenrnent called NEMA (National Environmental Management Authority)protects the wetlands, lakes and forests. They are are known to be very difficutlt to deal with.For the past two years, they have been issuing warnings to all residents of land near to swamps and Kibaale River. Many plantations have been destroyed by NEMA as they try to reclaim the swamps of Uganda.It has affected many of our KCF families.

Namulindwa Jackie's mother came in to KCF to tell them that NEMA came to their home yesterday and gave them notice that they have two weeks to get off the land and move somewhere else. If they don't move, then NEMA will knock down their home and put the parents in jail.

Because of this situation the family is now in need of a plot of land, a house, kitchen and latrine. The first priority would be a plot of land ($700). We are in no way expecting you to meet this need, but perhaps your family could keep her in prayer for this specific need.

Thanks,
H.S.

PAOS - Adminstrative Assistant

I'm so worried about Jackie and her whole family now, and I really want to be able to do something. I emailed her back, asking exactly how much time they have left, and how much money it would be to provide all the things she mentioned in the email (land, house, kitchen and latrine). Through my experiences with them in the past, I estimated that it would be about $1750 in total, which compared to here in Canada, is nothing.

I'm going to try to raise the money, through my church, and my parent's home group, and friends (and myself of course!). I really want to be able to help, and I know they need all the prayer they can get. If you could please, please pray for them, that they will be able to find land in time, and that I (and others) would be able to help provide for them, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.


1 comment:

Nikki said...

Oh my gosh, Erin, that is awful! I feel so badly for her and her family- it is so sad how that can happen. I will definitely be keeping her and your fundraising for her in my thoughts...