Friday, July 6, 2007

Famous For A Day!!!

Since I mentioned it, I thought I might as well tell how we were "Famous for a day". Yes, we were in the newspaper, front page! Very cool, actually! :D
A newspaper had asked our adoption agency if they knew of any families who were already home with their adopted children, and we were the closest ones, so they told them our phone number. Of course, when they phoned up and said, "Would you mind being in the newspaper?".. well, who would say no! So they did an over-the-phone interview about the adoption with my mom, and then a photographer came over to our house for a photo shoot. It was very cool, and he did some very cool, professional shots of our family.. he loved our staircase, because it kinda of twists around. As soon as he came in, he was like, "Perfect! That's where the pictures will be!" I guess its good for artistic poses or something.

Anyway, he did tons of different pictures, and then said that he had enough shots, and he would email us the ones they ended up using. "Oh yes" he said as he was leaving. "Since the surrey paper (our local paper) is the sister paper of the one doing the story on you, they might decide to do it too, is that all right?" Of course we didn't mind! Two newspapers doing stories about us! Even better! So the next Saterday, in the top right hand corner, there was a little picture of my mom and Moses, with a little caption saying, "In Tomorrow's Paper: Crossing Families; International Adoption" We all thought that was very cool, and didn't expect much more than that. So when we got the Sunday paper, and saw (no joke) our family pictures blown up across the entire front page.. we were pretty excited! I was famous at school for about a week after that! My teachers would all be teaching, and then catch my eye, and suddenly say, "Oh yes, did everyone see Erin and her family in the newspaper this weekend?" Everyone was soo excited.. some people were even more excited than I was about it! :P
But I just thought that was really cool.. I mean, who wouldn't like to be a little famous, even the tiniest bit? Oh, and our really good friends are neighbors with the paper boys, so we ended up getting not one, not two, but a total of 7 or 8 copies of that paper! :D And the paper boys were pretty excited too.. as they came to the door (it was open, so we said hi), they looked down at the paper, then back at us, then whispered, then said, "You're the people in the newspaper!" Yes we are! :D
It was kind of funny though.. for the next few weeks, even in the grocery store, complete strangers would come up to my mom and say, "Oh your kids are so cute.. hey! I saw you in the paper!" We even ended up meeting a very kind Ethiopian man because of it. He had seen the pictures, and read the story, and ever since then, had been desperate to meet us. It just so happened, that he was friends with the owner of the Ethiopian restaurant we always go to, so when we showed up, the owner called him. Suddenly, my dad was handed the phone, and was soon talking away with this sweet man who was saying how excited he was to see that we had adopted one of his countries children, and how excited he was to talk to us! It was so sweet!
So it was a pretty cool experience all together!






The Picture in the corner of the Saturday Paper.




















The Front Page Picture.















The picture on the inside, with the story.


2 comments:

Nikki said...

How exciting... I love being in the paper. I like the last picture best... you and your sister look SO similar!
-Nikki

Nikki said...

Hi! In response to your question, Youth Aiding Youth unfortunatley only operates in the Toronto area, but I know there is a similar program called Big Brothers and Big Sisters:
http://www.bbbsc.ca/defaultlanguage.asp
Y.A.Y. is truly amazing and has really changed me and given me a different perspective on life. I loveit!
-Nikki