Friday, August 24, 2007

Namulindwa Jackie

I was able to scan the pictures I have recieved of Jackie, so I thought I would share. Once again, I am babysitting, but they have let me use their scanner (we don't have one), so I can access the pictures from right here.

I also recieved, just yesterday, pictures of Reagan, with 4 of his siblings, in front of his house! I was so excited! Apparently he doesn't have a latrine, or a kitchen, and their house is only half finished, as their dad is trying to build it in between trying to find work. Its so sad, and I want to buy them a kitchen, although it costs about $200- nothing compared to what it would be here!

When I get home, I will post the picture of Reagan with his family.. some of them anyway; he has 4 brothers, 3 sisters, and at least his dad. I haven't heard about his mom yet, so I'm not sure whether she is still with them.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of my little girl...

This is the first picture I recieved, when I started sponsoring her.

This is the second picture I recieved.. they update them about once a year, unless you send gifts, in which case they send pictures of the child recieving the gift you sent.

This is Jackie recieving some cooking essentials, and a goat that I sent to them for Christmas '05 (I'm not sure who the woman with her is.. I'm assuming it is her mother, but I'm going to try to find out for sure.)

This is Jackie recieving the cow I sent her for Christmas '06.


I also sent her a blanket and matress, which she has just chosen out here.. I sent her a sweater and a pair of shoes for Christmas too, but in the names of my sister and brother (Megan and Joshua) so they were the ones who got pictures of those.


Those are some of the pictures I have of her.. I also have some from when we visited Kibaale in 2005, but they aren't on this computer. Hopefully I'll be able to put those on, but if not, I'll definitely put on the ones I have of Reagan, once I get back home to my computer.

So that is my beautiful little Jackie.. just a note; in case you were wondering why her head is shaved, I thought I'd let you know that the school makes it a policy that all students must have their heads shaved, because of lice, or head fungus. It makes it easier to manage.. thankfully Jackie has neither!

I do feel sorry for the Secondary students, and even the older Primary students. Hair is a big pride issue in Africa, so to have to shave it all off, without having any choice, in order to go to school seems a little unfair. I understand that with the younger children its a hygene issue, but I would think that the older ones (the school goes up to S5, which is Grade 12.. that's like 17, 18 year olds!) would be able to take care of themselves.
But, if I post any more pictures, you will probably notice that all the children have shaved heads, and that is why!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Wow- that is awesome. I guess because World Vision is so busy, they don't go as in depth when matching sponsors (ex. sending so many pictures). That really makes me want to consider this organization! It is so important to both people to create a bond. I am definitely going to start thinking more about saving to sponsor again- it has really been on my mind lately! Can't wait to see more pictures...